Wednesday, May 13, 2009

thoughts on today, 5-14-2009

thoughts i had today (literally):

"did i pay my credit card bill?"
"what day is it?"
"what month is it?"
"do i know anyone who has a couch i can sleep on in LA in july?"
"why should i throw away my coffee cup? i'm going to be needing another one in an hour."
"how the fuck do you tie a clove-hitch? oh, that's it. wait, fuck, no it isn't."
"she is either with her boyfriend or her brother."
"ice-man is my favorite x-man."
"ice-man isn't really my favorite x-man. he was just the first one that popped into my head."
"beast is my favorite x-man."
"i wish they wouldn't have put so much salsa in my breakfast burrito."
"why would john prine write a first person narrative song about a young woman wanting to get out of montgomery? i don't know, but i like it."
___________________________________

a past that may (or may not) have happened:

she said, "i'm an athiest." which came as no surprise.
(she kept a little bottle of tequila in her trunk,
and i knew she loved me when she gave it to me
for safe-keeping)
i tasted it, of course, and it stung my lips like bees
and my throat was alive with taste buds
which licked and recoiled and buzzed
and then licked again.

it was danger
(but when i think about it now,
far less danger then i had ever imagined)
and i liked the taste of danger.
and tattoos.

i don't know what happened to
the empty bottle.
i could extend some sort of metaphor to you now
(like a handshake)
but i won't.

but i will say
that an empty tequila bottle is not
the most elegant
efficient
or sensible way
to start a relationship.

but what do i know about that?

________________________________

2 comments:

Barb said...

"She is either with her boyfriend or her brother."

I don't think anyone ever thinks that about us. . . I hope!

Laura said...

I once started a relationship with a bottle of tequila. That marriage didn't go well either...