Thursday, December 13, 2012

12.13

I'm sitting at my desk, at work, and it is very quiet. I'm certain that my boss knows that I am not working, since she can hear me typing. Every once in awhile I furrow my brow. Perhaps I am responding to a complaint email. Perhaps I am writing to the board of directors, asking why we are once again producing a brand new, Broadway-bound musical, when our brand new artistic director vowed to not produce work with New York in mind?

Music has been banned in the office, as have tennis shoes & jeans. This is not high school, folks. We are all adults. Please do not bring your electric guitars to work. I'm patiently awaiting my annual appraisal. I'm hoping that they call in the appropriate expert, someone who appreciates my original brass handles and the fact that I have never been refinished. I expect that my value has depreciated some since last year, probably because I often update my facebook status from my desk. Also, I have a vulnerability for compassion and a strong-hearted hatred of the new American musical.

We shared a bottle of Chocolate Oak-aged Yeti last night. It is an imperial stout, a dark beer with a stronger malt bill than a regular stout, which gives it more flavor and (importantly) a higher ABV (9-10%). This particular version is aged on oak (chips, I think, not barrel-aged) and cocoa nibs, with a little cayenne thrown in for balance. Best to let this one warm up to 50-55 degrees. Aroma is a lot like chocolate milk cartons, but unlike third grade you definitely get a nice blast of malts and alcohol. Smooth and nicely bodied, but not quite as thick as Old Viscosity or Santa's Little Helper. The chocolate gives this a nice sweetness, and the oak really mellows everything out- sometimes everyday Yeti is a little sharp, and this never gets to that point. The pepper comes through after 3/4 of a glass, and is nice on a rainy or snowy night. You don't need to be a craft beer nerd to love this one- I suggest you pick up a bottle and give it a shot. Should be $10-$12 at your local bottle shop.

I highly recommend the Urban Shave to any gentleman who needs a haircut, shave, or beard trim. David, the owner, is an excellent barber, and his one-chair shop is charming and masculinely comfortable. You need to call for an appointment, and his schedule fills up fast.

There were some vague news reports coming out of Northern Wisconsin this week regarding sightings of a strange, unidentified creature. Locals were warned to be indoors by sundown, and keep a fire burning through the night. "It's probably a Ho-dag," admitted Mayor Jim Habenschwenger, 68, of Rhinelander. "It's probably not," said his wife, Mary-Ann Schlegelmilch-Habenschwenger, 67, also of Rhinelander. He was having a cup of coffee with his usual breakfast, one egg, over medium on rye toast. She was stopping by with wall hangings from the Quilter's Club.

There is still no music playing in the office.




No comments: