Monday, September 8, 2008

Iowan Drama Society, part II

what would it take to make Iowa like Disneyland? and i don't mean by building rides and selling enormously delicious corn dogs. i mean, is it possible to get as excited about going to Iowa as you would be about going to Disneyland?

i have a new play reading tonight, and i am excited and a little nervous. i really like the play, but hey, i wrote it. thats like saying "sure, i do like that funny looking freckled kid with the big glasses. after all, he is my kid." tonight is when i find out what other people think of my kid. i kind of hope he grows up to play some sort of instrument in marching band, and dates a pretty but awkward girl until the day after their high school graduation, when they discover that their puppy love has grown beyond them, and they spend the summer wild and broken-hearted before leaving for college. now that i think of it, maybe he is the one who gets excited about going to Iowa? makes sense to me.

'them there eyes' comes on in the coffee shop and makes me think of someone. a very specific someone.

1 comment:

Barb said...

One of the reasons I'm not having children is because I'm afraid I would produce the awkward, skinny, freckled, big-eared kid that everyone makes fun of.

At least you're willing to put your geeky kid out there.

And, when do I get to read it?!?1?

P.S. I got down with my zen-self and did some yoga tonight.