Sunday, September 21, 2008

tribute bands: worst idea ever

We are a culture obsessed with recapturing the past. Perhaps the best evidence of this is found in the pages of local 'scene' magazines, where schedules of small music clubs are packed with bands like Led Zep-again, the Fab Faux, and Mini-kiss. The last one is kind of an exception, since it is made up entirely of little people.
My point is this: every time I see a tribute band (usually on tv, like 'Rain: The Beatles Experience') I spend the entire time thinking "Wow. I wish this was the actual band and not some creepy and slightly out of tune tribute band." Do I have a problem living in the moment? Or have I just realized and accepted that the 'moment' passed with the original band?
I don't mind cover bands, provided that they play covers from several other bands, and maybe mix in a few of their own tunes.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I think "Mini-Kiss" is the worst idea ever. How freakin' weird.