Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The most interesting girl in the world, or Devrie Peters, Where Have You Gone?

Isn't life filled with people that you knew once, but not any more? Your best friend from third grade, the old man who used to live next to your grandparents, that girl (or guy) you fell in love with for two weeks last year before discovering that he/she despised caffeinated beverages (and smelled a little like smoked salmon). We must have a filing cabinet of sorts in our brains, with head shots and stat sheets for every person we've ever met. I've got a "top drawer" in my cabinet, reserved for people who make my head spin, people who I wouldn't mind spending a friday night with, or driving for weeks in an old VW bus across the American Southwest in search of... something. You know that scene from the Muppet Movie, after they've met Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, and they pile into that awesome bus and just start driving? That is how I imagine my journey with my top drawer. Then again, that whole movie is basically a blueprint for how to live a happy, fulfilling life.

So I've been filling in the gaps in my top drawer... people who I "used to know" and who have left some sort of void in my life by me "no longer knowing" them. The internet and facebook are great for this. Anyway, the lovely lady for whom this post is titled is the perfect example of a long-lost top drawer-er. And I've found her! And you know what? It took her no longer than two or three minutes and two or three mouse clicks to get me laughing harder than I have in months. Really, no kidding. As amazing as Dev is, her blog is even more amazing. (chickenspandex, and yes, it is just as funny even if you don't know her)

Another way of looking at the filing cabinet of life: Bokononism

3 comments:

Laura said...

I have many of these people... but, only one in particular who may have been the love of my life. The one I let get away because I was young, or scared, or something. But, needless to say, he's been gone ever since. Maybe, just maybe, he was the one.

Rob Novak said...

which one are you talking about? i've had five or six... and the good news is they just keep getting better. keep your head up.

Rose Hips said...

I'm so glad you found me! It's truly exciting to be back in touch with you...we've got tons to catch up on :)

I heart that you heart my blog.